Connecting to the Electrical Grid – Stage 3: The Grid Connection Agreement7 July 2023
After receiving the DNO’s formal statement and finalising any Preliminary Grid Connection Agreement (PGCA) (where required – see our note on Stage 2), applicants in Bulgaria submit an application pack for a Grid Connection Agreement (GCA). The GCA is the formal contract between the DNO and the project developer / project owner up until the site’s electrical installation is commissioned.
The documents in the application pack differ depending on whether a PGCA was entered into or not.
When a Preliminary Grid Connection Agreement is not required
In cases where no PGCA is required, the following documents must be in the pack:
- A notary-certified power of attorney (POA) (in cases where a third party represents the applicant); and
- A document showing freehold title or a lease over the relevant land.
If a new development will be built or an existing one rebuilt (at least one of these two situations covers the vast majority of situations), the following additional documents are required:
- A Construction Permit; and
- An DNO-approved “investment project” including development and electrical equipment and installations.
Where a PGCA is required
In cases where a Preliminary Grid Connection Agreement is required, the following documents must accompany the request for a GCA:
- A notary-certified POA (in cases where a third party represents the applicant);
- Documents certifying the applicant’s planning rights relating to the construction or expansion of the development;
- A DNO-approved “investment project”, including development and engineering designs including the installation of the equipment;
- A project draft covering the electrical and technical aspects of the project;
- A construction permit for the “connection equipment”.
The DNO is required to issue the Grid Connection Agreement within 21 days of the application submission and formally invite the applicant to enter into it.
If the applicant fails to execute the GCA within one year, the connection procedure is terminated.
The GCA explicitly sets out the grid connection conditions.
The GCA remains in effect until the commissioning of the connection equipment.
For the next step in the process in Bulgaria, you can read our article: Connecting to the Electrical Grid – Stage 4: Installation of connection equipment and launch