Internship for law student interested in Bulgaria’s venture and technology sector26 March 2021
New Balkans Law Office is a boutique law practice with offices in Sofia and London, specialising in offering bespoke legal advice and representation to corporate and private clients who operate or invest cross-border and are interested in setting up a business in Bulgaria. NBLO is currently looking for a law student who wants to start an internship with us.
Our firm has a solid international presence, dealing with cross-border matters and clients from multiple countries such as the UK, US, Russia, Hong Kong, Canada and China. Our team is equally international, enabling us to serve clients in various languages. However, in the office, we primary use English.
We have a friendly and welcoming atmosphere, often engaging in collaborative projects. Our technology and venture practice in particular has been both historically important to the firm and has grown of late. New Balkans Law Office are an early member of the Bulgarian Venture Capital Association, and work on developing standardised documentation for the industry. Our team have conducted educational projects (in the form of legal ‘surgeries’ for startups and accelerator members) and mentored, as well as providing legal advice to businesses in this space.
We have recently launched a number of initiatives to widen our outreach and are looking to hire a trainee or intern with a keen interest in technology matters to be involved in our work.
The Internship Role:
You will be responsible for identifying current trends in Bulgaria’s venture and technology ecosystem and their possible legal implications. You will work closely with colleagues in the team to produce English- and Bulgarian-language publications, addressing legal questions and concerns that may arise for both technology founders and investors; identify and liaise under guidance with key opinion leaders and with players in the technology and startup ecosystems and assist us with the research and delivery of advice (eg, assist our lawyers with regular startup clinics).
Key responsibilities during your internship:
- Identifying Bulgarian technology industry trends and questions of legal interest within them
- Preparing weekly briefs and drafts of publishable content that will live on our company’s website and social media channels
- Assisting members of the team in drafting and editing legal and marketing material
- Liaise with KOLs
- Supporting team members in the delivery of advice and mentorship
You should be able to demonstrate:
- An outstanding academic record in Bulgarian legal studies
- Genuine interest in the venture and technology ecosystem in Bulgaria
- Impeccable writing skills in both English and Bulgarian
- An international outlook and experience, ideally of both technology and law
- Ability effectively to research and produce timely reports on trends and regulatory changes relevant to the technology sector in Bulgaria
- Confidence in expressing well-supported opinions
- Familiarity with contemporary methods of distribution of outreach
We are looking for a candidate to start immediately. Please send your CV and covering letter to [email protected] or contact us via the contact form.